Saturday, August 15

Rudie Can't Fail



I find out about a lot of the music I listen to on the internet. Be it message boards, myspace, or youtube. That's how I ran across rude_NHS... his YouTube page, which features some killer live playing and interesting video editing. Anyhow, I ended up sending him an e-mail asking about one of his videos and he wrote back informing me of his new ep, Tango6, out now on Sotones! 4 songs for 3 euros, not a bad trade. On the Sotones website they describe Tango6:

It's been a long time coming, but rude_NHS' debut release for Sotones is finally here! 'Tango6' blends breaks with glitch and guffstep to mean effect in 4 tracks that span the typical journey of a citrus fruit from sunny beginnings to turbulent fermentation and fizzy explosion.

Now I don't really follow the latest dance craze, so "guffstep" means next to nothing to me, so I'll just describe it as fantastic. This ep has some killer glitching on it, as well as haunting melodies, bobbing beats, and just enough twist and turns to keep you guessing but not leave you lost. The first track "butane impact" is a straight up stomper with elements of dubstep. I really like the crazy leads on this one. Next up "plate". This is the shortest song on the ep and sounds like the soundtrack to a fairy tale, albeit a dark one. "yeah you" is the stand-out track of the bunch in my opinion. Lovely staccato chord stabs propel this mid tempo pop piece along, while an acid drenched lead line tears thru the top end. This track has the perfect amount of glitch in my opinion, it's done tastefully and serves the song, rather than showcasing the performer.

rude NHS = yeah you by rude_NHS

On the other end of the scale is the final cut, "hambook", which starts as a brutal glitch exercise. This one has to be heard to be believed... starting off with over 3 minutes of splattering audio, stretched across the frequency range. A sort of Musique Concrete meets DMC worldchampion. This then twists into a melody that ties the e.p. together and ends the album.

I really dig this record and that's why I wanted to interview rude_NHS for the next installment of 10 questions.....

No comments: