Sunday, July 5

Reason: Patch A Day

One of my very favorite blogs is featuring a couple of my combinator patches today! Here's the link to check it out:

Reason: Patch A Day




A little about Reason and Reason: Patch a day. First off I love that this blog has a premise and does one thing and one thing only. And it tells you what that one thing is in the title. When I was thinking of starting a blog this is one of the blogs I looked at as an example (the other blog I looked at is the blog that got me into reading blogs, the now dead, MusicThing.) Sound itself is why I got into music in the first place, so a blog on creating sounds is right up my alley. And it uses my favorite software in the world, Propellerheads Reason! I'm a late comer to Reason, having only been using it for under a year- before that I was using NI's Reaktor (which is also great.) I'd made the mistake of listening to naysayers that spoke of its interface as a gimmick, "look the cords on the back move", and never bothered to try it. Instead I went to the modular environment of Reaktor, which is great fun, but not the best music making tool. I believe with Reason, I've found the perfect combination of a software that I can tweak to do anything I want, while at the same time pushes me towards making music. Believe me, Reaktor certainly allowed me to tweak, but that's about all I did/do with it. Maybe your experience is different, I know people that swear by Cubase and I can't fathom why. (Although that new Loopsmash does look like fun.-) Reason has a reputation as being the platform for hip-hop music and I can understand why - combined with a pad interface it's very similar to using an MPC! But I don't make hip-hop and I know so many people like myself that enjoy using Reason for all types of music. So if you aren't happy with your current music making platform check out Reason's Demo. Just don't play on a cracked copy or I'll come into your house and slap you silly. Alright, sermons over...

To try out Reason, go the the Propellerhead Software website:

Propellerhead's Software

No comments: