Tuesday, December 22

10 Questions with Vespers


This edition of 10 Questions features Canadian based DJ/producer Vespers. I became acquainted with Vespers' work thru his first-rate tutorials on youtube, which I've previously posted a few of here on Resonant Filter. According to DJ Vespers' PR Kit his "sound can be described as ranging from peak party time breaks to down tempo glitch and big beat. He has been predominantly influenced by heavy hitters like the Stanton Warriors, Alex Metric, Elite Force, and the Crystal Method." I can certainly here those influences, yet Vespers also brings his own personality into the music, with the help of his ace saxophone playing.

- Where are you from and what's the scene like there?

I'm from Vancouver. I just moved there in June so I'm still getting to know the scene there. I'm originally from Victoria, which is much smaller, but has a really tight knit and active scene. Van seems a bit more fragmented, with a bunch of niche scenes. There's lots of people, venues and international talent always coming through though. I'm happy to be there.

- What was your first instrument?

I started playing classical piano when I was 5.

- How did you get into DJing and music production and which came first?

Started DJing in 2000, then started producing in 2005. I got into the underground dance music scene in Victoria in 1998, loved it, and then decided I wanted to start DJing shortly after.


- I learned about you thru your fantastic videos on youtube, in which you show creative ways of using Ableton Live; what other DAWs, synthesizers, and samplers make up your home studio?

I also use Cubase, although not as much now as Live is my go-to DAW. I really like Akai products. I use the Akai EWI-4000s because I'm a sax player. Also have the APC-40, MPD-32, MPK-25. I use an Access Virus TI hardware synth, Sugar Bytes Unique soft synth, Arturia V-Collection, and NI Komplete 5. For samplers, I use Ableton's built-in Simpler, Sampler, and Drum Racks. I find them way better thank Kontakt and Battery, which I used to use.



- Your website (vespers.ca) is one of the coolest looking sites out there, it includes full DJ sets dating back to 2001 available for download and streaming, as well as MP3s of your production work and samples - who set up your website and how has the reaction been to it?

Azaris Studios and Linear Design in Victoria designed it for me. The reaction has been pretty good. Slow traffic to start, but it's building now more and more. It's less important to have my own site now that things like Soundcloud, Myspace and Facebook exist, where I can host information and audio. I still think it's good to have though because I can control the look and format.

- You've DJ'd everywhere from Tainan, Taiwan to San Francisco, California when preparing a set for a foreign country do you do anything differently and have you noticed a difference in crowd reactions in the diverse locales you've spun?

Asia is really different than North America. I've found the dancefloor is much more fickle there, but they respond better to visual elements. They really dig the sax and any live elements I bring in. My experience in Asia is limited, but I'd like to play more there. Best show I ever played in my life was for Heineken in Taiwan. They rented out an entire waterside park and did a fully sponsored event with several thousand people.


- Probably my favorite track of yours is "Farewell", it features your saxophone playing and is more of a downtempo/chill track, yet still got my head nodding to the middle beat, what can you tell me about the production behind this track?

Glad you like the track. This one was a more emotionally charged piece for me. It was done as a dedication to an ex-girlfriend. I used to play keys and really like the sound of acoustic piano. The keys are done in Native Instruments Akoustic Piano, strings from Cubase's Halion One, the sax is an original recording. I need to touch up the mixdown of it, then it'll appear on my upcoming album, to be released on Pop + Lock Records in 2010. The bass is from the Virus synth.

- Your music production work crosses many genres in the so-called "dance" field, from glitch to trip-hop to electro to breaks - when creating a new track do you generally think of which genre you are going to work in before starting a new piece?

Yeah, for sure. I'll usually start with a tempo. Most of the stuff I'm writing these days is 100-120 bp - glitch hop / big beat stuff. I still write the odd uptempo breaks track, but mostly dub step, glitch hop and big beat.

- While we're talking about your music production work, tell me about your usual work method. When starting a new track do you start with a beat, a melody, or does it depend on the situation?

I always start with the drums. They are the most important part of every track and everything else has to play around them. I use Ableton's drum racks to dump a bunch of sounds in, layer up beats etc. I typically use 2-4 layers for kicks and clap/snares, some organic recorded sounds layered up with heavy hitting Vengeance or Goldbaby samples. Often times I'll use non-percussion sound in my drum rack as if they were drums and write them in with the beat. Things like bass stabs, FX, vocal snippets etc. Next I'll write the bass and get it to interplay around the drums. I use Ableton's Simpler or Sampler and use several layers with a sub-bass sample from a Minimoog or Virus synth. Once I have the beats and the bass tight, I'll lay down the synth leads, vocals or whatever the hook of the track is.


- Your track "We get wicked" features vocals by London based MC Vex, how did you hook up with him?

He's a friend of a friend. He recently moved to Victoria from London. He used to be a full-time jungle MC there, but he hasn't really gotten into the scene here. He's super talented, but doesn't really MC out anymore. Every once and a while we jam out in the studio. All I have to do is feed him a bunch of Red Bull and he's spits out genius stuff!

- You've released an ep this past year called "This is the Beat" on Pop + Lock Records (available thru Beatport) which features remixes by Myagi and the Groove Diggerz, what's in store for us from you in 2010?

Well, coming up on Dec. 22nd I have the "We Get Wicked" release coming out as a Beatport exclusive. It has a MASSIVE General MIdi remix with it. Check out my Soundcloud page for streaming samples and embeddable players: http://www.soundcloud.com/vespers

After that, I'm working on a solo artist album for release on Pop + Lock. It'll be 12-13 tracks ranging from dub step, to glitch hop, to big beat, to uptempo party breaks. Vex has done some vocal work on several of the tracks. I'm about 60% of the way through it now and I'm putting in some serious studio time dial it up. I'm really excited about this project as I can explore many different styles and sounds and get away from writing disposable party tunes. Uptempo dance tracks are fun, but they're formulaic and get tired after a while. I'm more stoked about the dub step and glitch hop scene right now. Expect to see lots of wobble, heavy glitchy beats and tweaked out acoustic instruments on the album.



Thanks for the great interview Vespers! Don't forget to pick up "We get Wicked", released today on the Pop + Lock digital imprint thru Beatport!

www.vespers.ca

Stay tuned for more stirring editions of 10 Questions in 2010, here on Resonant Filter!

No comments: